Pet Grooming – Helpful Tips In Caring For Your Dog’s Eyes
We all know how annoying and painful it feels when something gets stuck into our eyes. Our dogs also feel the same way so it’s very important that we observe and tend to their eyes regularly. This is especially true for dogs that have protruding eyes like the Chihuahua, Boxer and Boston Terrier just to name a few.
In this article we will be giving sharing some tips that you can use to help keep your dog’s eyes healthy and bacteria free.
Here are some of the things that you can do to care for your dogs eyes.
1. Make sure that your dog’s hair doesn’t cover or reach his eyes. To do this all you have to do is to get a blunt nosed scissor and carefully trim the hair around your dog’s eyes. Keeping your dog’s hair from touching their eyes can help prevent any bacterial build up in the eyes.
2. Keep the corners of your dog’s eyes mucus or gunk free. If you see any type of build-up in the corner of your dog’s eyes make sure to clean it off using a good dog eyewash or a damp wash cloth. Mucus build-up can cause infections so it’s important to keep an eye in these situations.
3. Keep your pet away from situations that may cause eye trauma. This is another reason why dog nail clipping is so important. When your dog’s nails get long, they may accidentally scratch their own eyes or another dog’s eyes during play time.
4. When bathing your dog make sure that you avoid getting any shampoo into their eyes. Always cover their eyes if you’re going to be applying shampoo or rinsing them near their head.
5. Be sure to regularly clean the tear stains from your dog’s eyes.
6. If you’ve observed any abnormalities in your dog’s eyes or if the mucus build-up seems to occur too frequently, be sure to discuss with your vet.
The above tips will only take you a few minutes of your time and will go a long way in keeping your dogs eyes healthy.